Dry Eye Treatment in Ayurveda
- Dry eye is a symptom complex occurring due to deficiency or abnormalities of the tear film.
- Main causes of Dry eye are aqueous and lacrimal gland deficiency, age related dry eye, lacrimal gland obstruction, vitamin A deficiency and other factors affecting ocular surface like topical drugs, preservatives, contact lens wear and allergies etc.
- Symptoms of dry eye include irritation, foreign body (Sandy) sensation, feeling of dryness, itching, ocular discomfort and chronically sore eyes.
- Dry eye is known as SUSKASHIPAKA in Ayurveda and is a Vata Pitta predominant disease. The eye becomes dry and rough.
- In modern medicine there is no medication as such to cure the disease except for few tear substitutes only, which again aggravates due to preservatives in different tear substitute drops.
- Ayurveda treats the disease from the root cause through proper sodhana (Cleaning ) of body and head portion through different ayurvedic procedure like Virechana and Nasya and then with topical therapies like Tarpana, Seka and Anjan with different medicated Ghee and other internal medications.
- We at Astanga Ayurveda treat the disease through above procedures with Vatta Pitta pacifying and Rasayana (Rejuvenative) drugs which are essential to the protocol of dry eye treatment in Ayurveda.