Diabetes Lifestyle plays an important role in diabetes treatment and glucose level management of a diabetes patient. Diabetes is not a disease. It is a disorder. It affects the normal body physiology and metabolism. The normal metabolism is well maintained by organized food habit, lifestyle and behavioral practice. Ayurveda narrates this phenomena as “Samyak Ahara, Bihara and Achara”. Diabetes lifestyle includes daily routine and diabetes physical activity. In Ayurveda, Daily routine is called “Dina Charya”. The daily routine gets changed according to the seasonal changes. That is called “Ritu Charya”. A physically active life style gives good health benefit to a diabetes patient. It prevents lots of diseases like diabetic retinopathy, diabetic cardiopathy, diabetic neuropathy, diabetec nephropathy etc.
Diabetes Lifestyle benefits
Diabetes specialist doctor says, Diabetes Lifestyle gives innumerable health benefits to a new or old diabetes patient. It is helpful for both Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes. We can sum up the diabetes lifestyle and physical activity benefits as follows.
- Diabetes lifestyle and active exercise helps lowering the blood glucose level.
- It lowers the hypertension (High blood pressure)
- Physical exercise gives sound sleep.
- It brings balance in calorie gain and loss (calorie burn)
- It prevents mood swing
- Active diabetic lifestyle handles obesity and serum cholesterol and lipid profile.
Ayurveda Diabetes Lifestyle
Ayurveda suggests physical exercise for the diabetes patients. Ayurveda suggests continuous walk and exercise. Walking miles without umbrella and shoes is helpful for diabetes treatment. It suggests to take food like a beggar. That means Ayurveda suggests less and light and infrequent food habit. Diabetes food habit and life style are complementary to each other. Also it is suggested to remain active round the day. Early morning exercise followed by in house rest is not going to help.
Dry powder reverse massage (Udvartan) is helpful.
- Early morning rise and early sleep in the evening is good for diabetes patient.
- Get up early in the morning in between 4 AM to 6 AM.
- After defecation, micturation and washing face go for a brisk morning walk of 5 kilometer.
- Exercise and Early morning Sun exposure is advised.
- Avoid day sleep except a very hot summer.
- Go to bed in between 9 PM to 10 PM after having dinner at 7 PM.
- Hard work or movement after food is not advised.
- Use Hard and flat bed for sleep. Avoid luxurious bed.
- Meet friends and help needy people. It secretes Happy Hormones like insulin, testosterone etc.
It is better to plan the active movement. Somebody may plan the food habit and physical activity. While conducting physical exercise, care should be taken to prevent low blood glucose level. Low blood glucose level or hypoglycemia is more dangerous than hyperglycemia ( High blood sugar level). It is better to carry glucose during exercise. The patient must learn about the sign and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia.
Be kind to others. Keep calm in body and mind. Spare wealth over gift, donation and charity. It secretes the happy hormone. Practice to be tolerant. Keep smiling.
Avoid Habits (Don’ts in Diabetes)
- Don’t hold the urgency of micturation (Urination).
- Smoking is hazardous. It either enhances the blood sugar level or delays its management.
- Steam bath and walking under mid day sun is not good. That may cause diabetic carbuncles.
- Prolonged sitting at one place is the reason behind diabetis and its complications.
- Day sleep is highly contraindicated.
- Avoid watching TV for long time.
- Don’t be jealous of others.
- Don’t lie, don’t angry.
Writen by Dr Ambika Prasad Nayak
Related quick view: