For the treatment, prevention and management of diabetes and its complications along with the side effects of modern medicines Ayurveda is a noble gift. Ayurveda understands that Diabetes Care is not possible with some synthetic drugs. Diabetes is not a disease. It is a disorder. It is a life style disorder. Diabetes Care is possible by managing the life style and food habit.
The concept of Diabetes is as old as the Ayurveda itself. So as the Diabetes Care. Diabetes comes under Madhumeha. Madhumeha is included into the Prameha which is of twenty types.
Ayurved has vividly described the signs and symptoms and complications of Diabetes (Madhu Meha).
Broadly diabetes is divided into two types. Insulin dependent (IDDM) or Type 1 Diabetes and Non Insulin Dependent (NIDDM) or Type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes is not a disease. It is a disorder. The food habit and life style should be rectified to reorganize the disorder.
- Modern medicine plays a role to control the insulin level. External insulin gives an external support for the same.
- It does nothing to repair the pancreatic cells.
- Modern medicine does nothing to prevent the complications of diabetes. Rather it leaves its own side effects.
- Diabetes gives rise to complications like diabetic retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, cardiopathy, osteopathy etc.
- The Ayurveda medicines are composed of multiple drugs. They take the responsibility individually or combinedly to prevent the disease and take care of the organs.
- During Diabetes Care, the doctor suggests the diabetes patient to limit the food by quality, quantity and variety.
- This practice gives rise to weakness. Itself diabetes is the main reason behind weakness.
- If the patient takes more food, the serum glucose level increases. If the diet is reduced, the a decrease in the level of energy is marked.
- At this point there is need of a micro nutrition.
- Lots of micro nutrition (rasayana) are described in Ayurveda. They give energy, prevent complications and control the serum glucose level.
Astang Ayurveda Diabetes Care
- We focus on history taking. It helps to find out the reason and loop hole behind diabetes.
- We prescribe medicines which are more reforming than suppressing. It helps rectification and reorganization.
- We suggest food habit from chemical and metaphysical (Ayurveda Padartha Vijnana) point of view. It has tremendous effect on metabolism process. Remember, diabetes is the output of metabolism disorder.
- We suggest physical work basing upon basic principle of Ayurveda. It gives a proper coordination to the universe inside and the universe outside the body of the patient. Remember, energy can neither be created nor be destroyed. It is transformed from one form to another form.
- Food habit, metabolism, physical labour and calorie balance are inter related.
- We may not give a diabetes cure, but we can definitely give a better Diabetes Care.
Written by: Dr A P Nayak